Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Memories of the Rain

Every time it rains, it reminds me of my childhood. I grew up in a small town and we don't have a lot. The kids in the neighborhood where I grew up are all my friends. I remember we always have fun playing in the middle of the rain. Yes, we love taking shower in the rain and playing at the same time. That is normal for us. When it rains, it reminds me of a simple life and simple pleasures.

During my childhood, there was no water system for our water consumption. We have to fetch water from a well or we have to harvest rain water and store it in our rain water barrels, plastic drums and containers. I remember that part of our daily chores is to fetch water. As a child, I always get excited when it rains because the more water we can store in our rain barrels the less time we have to spend fetching water. Rain harvesting was a lot easier than walking miles carrying gallons of water.

For the past few days that we had endless rain, it made me miss home. Not because I am looking forward to rain harvesting but to see family and friends, spend time with them and talk about our "yesteryears".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Mouth's Delight © 2009 By: Demcy Apdian-Dias