Thursday, October 22, 2009

Store Brand Infant Formula is a Cheaper Alternative to Breastmilk

I know the benefits of breastfeeding because I am a mother myself. Although I was not able to breastfed my daughter because of some health issues, I did my part in making sure that she can have my breastmilk. I diligently pumped (using electric breast pump) my milk and store it in a breastmilk container and bring it everyday to the hospital so that my daughter can have it. I know that breastmilk is the gold standard in infant nutrition that is why I made sure that I made an extra effort in ensuring that my baby can have my breastmilk.

Obviously, I am pro-breastfeeding because I believe that no infant formula can substitute breastmilk. Infant formula is a safe alternative to breasmilk.

I don't condone those mothers that opt to use infant formula. They have different reasons for doing so. Infant formulas are all the same whether it is the most expensive brand or the store brand formula. They contain all the essential ingredients that must be in infant formula as dictated by the FDA and required by the Infant Formula Act.

“Many women are unable to breastfeed for the duration of the first twelve months, especially if they are on medication, have multiple births, or must return to work during these difficult economic times,” said Dr. Barbara Levine, Weill Cornell Medical College. “These moms often experience feelings of guilt if they choose not breastfeed, so they purchase expensive formula. But very few really know the truth about infant formula.”

“Buying a heavily marketed, expensive, brand-name infant formula from a big pharmaceutical company does not get your baby any closer to human breast milk than a store-brand formula,” added Dr. Levine. “Mothers can choose to supplement their breast milk with any formula because all formulas are regulated by FDA and nutritionally equivalent.”
Store brand Infant Formula will become more important to mothers now because WIC program is currently reallocating funds for all currently provided foods including infant formula. WIC Program will reduce up to 20% of in infant formula subsidies, thus parents who previously had most of their formula paid for by WIC may now have to purchase formula on their own. By buying store brand infant formula, it will be financially feasible for parents.

Post?slot_id=74452&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Mouth's Delight © 2009 By: Demcy Apdian-Dias